Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fucking People

Uuuuughhh… What is it about this bike shop that slowly and inexorably kills my soul? Why does selling inexpensive bikes to fat people make me angry? What’s wrong with me?

Maybe it’s just because it’s the end of July in the bike biz, and everybody’s frickin’ burned out. Maybe if I was selling Super Record equipped Pegorettis, I’d still want to fucking shoot myself. But maybe not.

Long have I pondered this phenomenon, and I’ve come to few conclusions. Part of it is the perception in my community that bikes are toys. They’re to be purchased, neglected and disposed of. They are not investments worth keeping up. As a bike wrench, this perception makes my job immeasurable harder, because by the time they bring the bike to me, they’ve dug such a deep hole, maintenance-wise, that I’m nearly always tempted to try to talk them into a new bike, even if it’s a used bike from some other shop. I just wish they could understand that bikes can and should function well, and that makes riding more enjoyable, and that it takes some money and attention to keep them working that way, but in the end, it’s worth it. They just don’t get it.

So, I sold some cheap bikes to some fat people today. Big fucking deal. Poor me. Well yeah, poor fucking me. I’m sick of this shit. I’m sick of lazy people. I’m sick of cheap people. I’m sick of ignorant people. I’m just sick of fucking people.

No comments:

Post a Comment